Friday, May 15, 2009

A loving moment, not for the weak at stomach

Meghan was home this past weekend, and at one time, she came over to me, while I was sitting and relaxing on a chair, and started stroking my hair.

Ohhh, so sweet. She was actually stoking my head ever so softly and sweetly. It was the most loving and impressive moment that I’ve ever had with (by) Meghan. In fact, her mannerisms are usually those of rough, heavy, severe, that one would usually liken her to a bull in a china shop, because soft and easy isn’t her thing..

But here she was stoking my head with a nice, soft, and easy hand that I said: "ahhh, Meghan, that’s so nice; so sweet! I love you, too! "

As she continued, I reclined and enjoyed the loving moment that I knew would only last for a few more seconds … until my eyes popped open and I said to myself….

Is that the smell of poop on her hands?

Ohhh. Myyyyyy. GOD!!

I mean, it is an undeniable stench!

And what does a mom say/do at a moment like that; a moment that has never before been experienced by her autistic girl. And here, here it was, the sweetest moment of Meghan’s life--finally exhibiting love and care for another human being, and …

the heavy odor of poop still lingered from her hands…

Maybe she was wiping her hands on my head?

So I quickly--but nonchalantly--inspected her hands, and to my relief, no signs of … well, you know.

So I continued to let her caress my head without making a face that said: ugh, gross, yuck, I wanna throw up…

And noted that as soon as the loving moment has past, she would--once again--scrub her hands with soap and water-- ironically, a favorite pastime of hers--soap, water, ahhh, the fresh, clean smell of lavender..

And I would need a shower…

Ohhh, the things we do for love!!!!

And btw, this moment will be remembered minus the poop smell!! ;)

5 comments:

Kate said...

So....what I can't figure out is....where did the poop smell come from?

Holly said...

From going to the bathroom and playing with her poop. Perhaps I should have been clearer, Meghan has sensory integration issues and sometimes she plays with her poop then washes her hands and sometimes the smell lingers.

It is a disgusting post but a true story…

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

Ah, well. As the saying goes, it's the thought that counts.

mama edge said...

My modem has been out of whack lately, so blogreading has been a very frustrating, catch-as-catch can proposition. I am finally catching up with yours this morning, and I just had to tell you how much I identified with this post and the prior one about consequences. I wish every person who is ignorant about the challenges and "joys" of raising a child with autism would read these. They really say it all. Thanks!

fearless female said...

cool sites
i love it
check my site too http://fearlessfemale.co.cc